2.4 GHz Bluetooth 5 Low Energy (BLE) Module
SaBLE-x-R2 is a certified Bluetooth® low energy module built to deliver unmatched RF and power performance. The SaBLE-x-R2 builds on the field-proven hardware of the SaBLE-x to provide a simple, easy upgrade path for Bluetooth 5 connectivity. Built to remove complexity and accelerate development time, the module is pin-to-pin compatible with the original SaBLE-x hardware, which means upgrading to R2 does not require any PCB, footprint, or hardware changes in any existing SaBLE-x board layout.
Note: The SaBLE-x-R2 is a hardware-only offering and does not include software by Laird / LSR, other than an initial sample application and supporting mobile app (ModuleLink) for validating the SaBLE-x-R2 development board. The SaBLE-x-R2 hardware is fully supported with TI’s BLE stack, freely available for SaBLE-x-R2 customers at http://www.ti.com/tool/simplelink-cc2640r2-sdk. See Getting Started with the SaBle-X-R2 for more information.
Based on the new TI SimpleLink™ Bluetooth® Smart CC2640R2F wireless microcontroller (MCU), this self-contained SaBLE-x-R2 module provides unmatched integration, including an ARM Cortex-M3 application processor and an ARM Cortex-M0 dedicated for the RF core, dedicated Sensor Processor Engine for low power operation, greater FLASH memory available for user application development compared to prior silicon variant, and both high- and low-speed clocks.
The original SaBLE-x modules remain commercially available and fully supported, but are Not Recommended for New Design (NRND).
450-0119R: SaBLE-x, PCB Trace Antenna, TR [NRND]
450-0141: SaBLE-x Development Kit [NRND]
450-0144C: SaBLE-x, EXT Antenna Port, CT [NRND]
450-0144R: SaBLE-x, EXT Antenna Port, TR [NRND]
450-0150: SaBLE-x Evaluation Kit [NRND]
450-0151: SaBLE-x Evaluation Kit with Antennas [NRND]
450-0177C: SaBLE-x-R2 with PCB Trace Antenna, CT
450-0177R: SaBLE-x-R2 with PCB Trace Antenna, TR
450-0178C: SaBLE-x-R2 with External Antenna Port, CT
450-0178R: SaBLE-x-R2 with External Antenna Port, TR
450-0184: SaBLE-x-R2 Development Kit with PCB Trace Antenna
450-0185: SaBLE-x-R2 Development Kit with External Antenna Port
- Industry’s first certified Bluetooth 5 module based on TI CC2640R2F (SaBLE-x-R2 only)
- Features both an ARM Cortex-M3 processor for host applications and an ARM Cortex-M0 dedicated for the RF core
- Features increased availability to of on-module FLASH memory than previous variant for user application development (SaBLE-x-R2 only)
- Dedicated Sensor Processor for even lower power operation
- Integrated FLASH memory, and high- and low-speed clocks
- Works with TI's BLE stack (http://www.ti.com/tool/simplelink-cc2640r2-sdk)
- Multiple certified antenna options
- Trace, Dipole, FlexPIFA™, and FlexNotch™
- In-house certification of additional antennas at little or no cost
- Develop applications with Bluetooth 5 functionality utilizing TI’s robust Software Development Kit (SDK) (SaBLE-x-R2 only)
- Size: 11.6 mm x 17.9 mm x 2.3 mm
- On-Module Integration: Integrated ARM Cortex-M3 MCU, dedicated Cortex-M0 MCU for RF core, and dedicated Sensor Processor Engine
- Hardware Interfaces: Highly-configurable I/O that supports all common peripherals (UART, SPI, I2C, PWM, ADC, etc.)
- Industrial Temp Range: -40 to +85 °C
- Memory: 128 kB FLASH and 20 kB SRAM on-module
- Operating Voltage: 1.8 V to 3.8 V
- Output Power: +5 dBm
- Receive Sensitivity: -96 dBm at 0.1% BER
- Average Power Consumption: < 10 uA for 1 second BLE connection interval
- Standards Support: Bluetooth 5 and 4.1 certified
- Certifications: FCC, IC, ETSI, Giteki, RCM, SIG
SaBLE-x-R2 Development Kits
Laird’s Evaluation Kit for SaBLE-x-R2 Bluetooth low energy modules will provide you with a fast out-of-the-box experience with all the hardware you need, including adapter boards for development with TI or Arduino platforms. SaBLE-x-R2 evaluation boards will be available in June 2017. Following this release, development boards will no longer feature the SaBLE-x.
For SaBLE-x modules, along with the Development Kit hardware, BLE developers can utilize LSR’s Developer Tool Suite software. This suite of developer tools simplifies the work to integrate the SaBLE-x module with your host MCU through LSR’s exclusive Serial-to-BLE API and Source Code, along with Boot Loader. Furthermore, the companion mobile app, ModuleLink for BLE, works seamlessly with the SaBLE-x Dev Board so you can range-test and test communications with any iOS or Android device. To learn more, scroll down for more information on the Developer Tool Suite and the ModuleLink for BLE mobile app.
The SaBLE-x-R2 Development Board features:
- On-Board 3-Axis Accelerometer, Temperature, and Ambient Light Sensors
- 3 Push Buttons for Input
- 6 LED Indicators
- External Memory: 4 MBit CMOS Serial Flash Memory with SPI interface to the SaBLE-x Module
- Antenna: Either module’s trace antenna or u.FL connector on Dev Board for external antenna
- Power: On-board Coin Cell battery, USB cable, or external power
- Pin-Outs to support both Arduino & TI Adapter Boards (included in Dev Kit)
Buy your Dev Kit or Evaluation Kit Now
SaBLE-x Development Kit [NRND] (Item # 450-0141)
- Contains: 2 SaBLE-x Dev Boards, TI EM Adapter, Arduino Adapter, Micro USB Cable, and Coin Cell Batteries (2)
- Utilize 1 SaBLE-x Dev Board as Central and 1 as Peripheral to support comprehensive evaluation and development efforts
SaBLE-x Evaluation Kit [NRND] (Item # 450-0150)
- Contains: 1 SaBLE-x Dev Board, Micro USB Cable, and Coin Cell Battery
SaBLE-x Evaluation Kit with Antennas [NRND] (Item # 450-0151)
- 1 SaBLE-x Dev Board (with U.FL external antenna port)
- 2.4 GHz Dipole antenna
- 2.4 GHz FlexPIFA antenna
- U.FL to SMA cable, Micro-USB cable and coin-cell battery
SaBLE-x-R2 Development Kit with PCB Trace Antenna (Item # 450-0184)
- 6 ft. micro USB cable
- TI EM adapter
- Arduino adapter
SaBLE-x-R2 Development Kit with External Antenna Port (Item # 450-0185)
- 6 ft. micro USB cable
- TI EM adapter
- Arduino adapter
- Cable u.FL to SMA BUlkhead
- 2.4 GHz dipole
- FlexPIFA antenna
Already have your Kit?
It’s easy to get started with a guided tutorial for evaluating the SaBLE-x module’s performance using the ModuleLink for BLE companion app.
RF Performance Evaluation
To evaluate the RF performance of the SaBLE-x-R2 and SaBLE-x modules, the Manufacturing firmware should be flashed into the module. Once the manufacturing firmware is flashed into the module the Bluetooth Eval Tool can be used to connect to the dev board and send test commands to the module.
- Bluetooth Eval Tool (930-0030)
- SaBLE-x Manufacturing Firmware (480-0063)
- SaBLE-x-R2 Manufacturing Firmware (SaBLE-x-R2 ONLY) (480-0102)
LSR ModuleLink for BLE
iOS and Android Mobile App
The LSR ModuleLink for Bluetooth® low energy application delivers convenience and simplicity in developing with BLE modules from LSR. The app provides an interface for real-time interaction and testing of any of Laird’s certified BLE modules, including the SaBLE-x-R2, SaBLE-x, and TiWi-uB1™.
When utilized with the module's Development Kit hardware, the app provides the ability to wirelessly monitor pushbutton inputs, sensors, and battery level, while also controlling LED outputs on the kit. The app also features a convenient range-testing tool that reports the Received Signal Strength (RSSI) and BLE packets sent/received in real-time.
The SaBLE-x-R2 Dev Board Firmware for ModuleLink is firmware that runs in the SaBLE-x-R2 module on the dev board. This firmware enables the module to interact with the LSR ModuleLink for BLE app on Android or iOS. This firmware does not include any Serial-To-BLE API functionality. This firmware is for use with the Android and iOS apps only and will not respond to any commands issued over a UART connection.
- SaBLE-x Dev Board Firmware for ModuleLink (480-0040)
- SaBLE-x-R2 Dev Board Firmware for ModuleLink (SaBLE-x-R2 ONLY) (480-0106)
- Xamarin ModuleLink Source Code (930-0078)
Additional Software Resources for SaBLE-x and SaBLE-x-R2 Development
Both SaBLE-x-R2 and SaBLE-x module developers can leverage the breadth of TI software and tools that support the SimpleLink CC2640R2F and CC2640 wireless MCUs. These valuable resources, such as the BLE stack running on the modules, can be found on Texas Instrument's Bluetooth low energy wiki page.
SaBLE-x Only Serial-to-BLE
featured in LSR Developer Tool Suite
Serial-to-BLE, found in LSR’s Developer Tool Suite, was created by developers, for developers. This free PC-based tool will provide a wide breadth of tools designed to accelerate your development efforts with the SaBLE-x module. Serial-to-BLE dramatically simplifies Bluetooth Smart development by providing a simple, comprehensive API library of serial commands via UART between your design’s host microcontroller and the SaBLE-x module.
Once you’ve downloaded the DTS, view our helpful online guides and video tutorials on the "Documentation" tab.
SaBLE-x-R2 is certified with these Antennas
Dev Board & Kits
Quality & Environmental
Dev Board & Kits
Online Guides & Tutorials
Quality & Environmental
ForumPost or view product support questions
EMail Technical SupportEmails will be assigned a Technical Support Request (TSR) number and assigned a LSR resource. We work diligently to respond to all email and forum posts as soon as possible.
EMail Technical SalesUse the form below, for questions relating to RF Design Services, RF Module Sales and EMC Testing Services, email our Technical Sales Department.